Enjoy learning about the history of mathematics with our historical math facts and information.
- It is believed that Ancient Egyptians used complex mathematics such as algebra, arithmetic and geometry as far back as 3000 BC, such as equations to approximate the area of circles.
- Babylonians measured the circumference of a circle as approximately 3 times the diameter, which is fairly close to today's measurement which uses the value of Pi (around 3.14).
- The equals sign (=) was invented in 1557 by a Welsh mathematician named Robert Recorde.
- The basic arithmetic operations used in mathematics are addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Modern mathematics has advanced greatly thanks to the incredible computing power of today's computers.